Beach Town in a Forest

Beach Town in a Forest
Beach Town in a Forest, Pine Knoll Shores located in Carteret County on North Carolina's Crysal Coast. Photo compliments of Bill Flexman and Dave Prutzman

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Chronology of Pine Knoll Shores Events


A timeline for the history of Pine Knoll Shores is a valuable tool, but we must admit at the outset that putting historical details in a chronological outline inevitably is a flawed project. The timeline includes some facts and omits others. It leaves out most elaborating details. But, we hope that readers will, nonetheless, find this chronology helpful. It provides a birds’ eye view of the sequence of events. And, fortunately many of the entries are or will be the subject of individual posts that attempt to tell more complete stories.

1524 – Giovanni da Verrazano Sails Along Bogue Banks Coast

1663 – King Charles II of England Grants Province of Carolina to Eight Favored Members of Court
One of the Lords Proprietors was Sir George Carteret, who gave his name to the county.

1800 – Census Lists Jones Meginnis as Living on Bogue Banks

1820 – Census Lists Dorcas Maginnis as Living on Bogue Banks
Assume they were squatters who lived where McGinnis Point was developed on the sound.

1862 – Alice Green Born in New York City to Well-to-do Family

1864 Confederate Iron Steamer “Pevensey” Sank

1890s – Shackleford Banks Residents Leave Diamond City. 
Series of storms and decline in whaling force Shackleford Bankers from Diamond City, and some move to Salter Path on Bogue Banks

1901-1909 – Teddy Roosevelt Is President 
Grandchildren develop Pine Knoll Shores

1905 Alice Green Marries John Ellis Hoffman 
They divorced in 1911

1909 – Abonito Develops
Section of land in what is now central Pine Knoll Shores. Families from New York sail to Bogue Banks using the newly opened Intracoastal Waterway and decide to make camp here. They bought property. Some of their descendants remain on that property.

1910 – John Royall Buys Large Section of Bogue Banks
Purchase extends into Atlantic Beach on the east and to the end of the island on the west.

1914-1917 – World War I 
Alice Hoffman left Paris as German Army approached

1917 – Alice Hoffman Buys Large Section of John Royall’s Property
Her purchase extends into Atlantic Beach on the east and through Salter Path to the west. She resides in a remodeled and an expanded cottage built initially by John Royall for his physician. She initially rents and then buys the cottage with the property. It is on what will become Oakleaf Drive facing the sound (Approximate location of her house is 214-216 Oakleaf.) 

1919-1926 – U.S. Post Office Established at Alice Hoffman’s House
Named Bogue Banks P.O.

1928 – First Bridge Connecting Bogue Banks to Mainland Opens
Connects Morehead City to Atlantic Beach

1935-38 – Alice Hoffman’s Financial Difficulties Cause Her to Lose Control of Her Property

1938 – Depression Era WPA Program Builds Salter Path Rd.

1939 – Alice’s Family Intervenes
The intervention of Alice’s family in the late 1930s, culminated in the conveyance of Alice’s Carteret County property from Attorney Llewellyn Phillips and his wife, Harriet, to John Marshall Mathias, Trustee for Theodore Roosevelt, III, Cornelius Van Schaak Roosevelt, Grace Roosevelt McMillan and Quentin Roosevelt.

1941-1944 World War II Comes to Bogue Banks
Numerous military installations are established on the island: an artillery battery located where Roosevelt Beach development is now, a Marine firing-range training base located on what is now Knollwood Drive, beach patrols and observation towers dotted oceanfront. Salter Path Rd. was improved. Alice entertains troops at home.

1945 – Judge Matthias Re-establishes Himself as Trustee for the Roosevelts
He sells some of the Atlantic Beach property to pay back taxes.

1949 – As Per Alice Hoffman’s Wishes, the Roosevelts Deed 62 Acres of Land to Episcopal Diocese of Eastern North Carolina for the Trinity Center

1950 – Judge Matthias Resigns as Trustee and Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., Assumes Role as Trustee

1953 – Alice Hoffman Dies in Her Pine Knoll Shores Home

1953-55 – Furnishings in Alice’s Home Are Auctioned

1954 – First Mention of Name “Pine Knoll Shores” 
Name appears in records of at meeting between Roosevelts and property management consultants from Stone & Webster

1955-57 – Roosevelts Develop Eastern Pine Knoll Shores
First Lots Sold in 1957 on Oakleaf, Knollwood, Juniper, Yaupon, Willow, Holly

1960 – Population - Few if Any full-time Residents

1960-2005 – Iron Steamer Pier and Motel
Built by Shelby Freeman, employed by the Roosevelts to sell property in easternmost section of Pine Knoll Shores. He sells land to A.C. Hall for the Atlantis Lodge. He then buys land on the oceanfront further west for his pier. After suffering damage during storms, it is sold, then torn down in 2005, and houses are built on its property.

1960-1963 – Alice’s Home is Divided into Parts and Auctioned
Kitchen area is moved to Yaupon and Salter Path Road to serve as development office. Will become the office of Don Brock, who will represent the development interests of the Roosevelts. Other parts are sold to Taylors, who move sections of the house to Morehead City for plumbing supply business.

1963 – A.C. Hall Completes Central Wing of Atlantis Lodge
A.C. Hall, owner of the Atlantis and a city planner from Raleigh, is hired by Ted Hearth, a management consultant from New York City representing the Roosevelts. Staying at the Atlantis, Hearth contracts with A.C. Hall to draw up plans for central Pine Knoll Shores.

1965 – Roosevelts Sign Water Supply Agreement with Southern Gulf
The agreement was for Southern Gulf to construct and operate a central water facility to serve the tract in perpetuity.

1966-67 Von Ossen & Associates Hired by Ted Hearth to Survey Property A.C. Hall Is Designing for Development

1967 – East Portion of Pine Knoll Waterway Completed
Don Brock is a surveyor on the project and will come to work directly for the Roosevelts, representing their interests for the remainder of the development though the 1980s.
Pine Knoll Association (PKA) Becomes First Homeowner Association

1969 – Roosevelts Deed Property to Developers with Plans for Golf Course

1970 – Population 62 
Census figures represent full-time residents

1971 – West Portion of Pine Knoll Waterway Completed 
Two portions remained separated by Mimosa Blvd. In 1972 a bridge replaced the roadway, allowing circulation of tidal water flow and small boat traffic.
Roosevelt's deed 292 acres to State for Natural Area

1972 – Pine Knoll Townes I & II Are Built
First multifamily dwellings

1972-73 – Carpetbagger Motel Is Built
Will become Whaler Inn

1973
May – Shoreline Newletter/Newspaper Begins
Betty Hammon and Mary Doll, having recently moved to the area with their husbands, Carl and Bill respectively, write a letter to residents indicating the need for a regularly published newsletter about what is going on locally. (Shoreline newsletter/newspaper - August 1973 to present.)
July – PIKSCO Incorporates
Pine Knoll Shores Corporation (PIKSCO) is the second homeowner association 
August – Town Organizes
First publication of Pine Knoll Shore-line newsletter indicates 90% of eligible voters voted for the town’s incorporation. Only 26 voted against incorporation, but the dissenters pursued their cause until 1974.

1973-1975 James Redfield Serves as Mayor
First Commissioners—Jim Ramsey, Ruth Bray, Bill Doll, Waightsel Hicks and H.W. McBride, winners of a 16-candidate race.
First Town Clerk – Simon Bezuyen.
Pine Knoll Shores’ Golf and Country Club recruiting members.
Bookmobile Stops in Pine Knoll Shores Once a Month
Town Meetings Held at Atlantis Lodge
Development Continues
Reefstone Subdivision is under construction.
Presentation on building a marine resource center  (future aquarium) “on 350 acres of unspoiled terrain” made to PKS Board of Commissioners.
Population of PKS is approximately 350

1974
May - State of North Carolina Officially Recognizes Incorporation of Town of Pine Knoll Shores
According to Shore-line Newsletter the town consists of 235 houses, 123 condominium units, and 42 apartments
Garden Club, Town’s First Club, Officially Begins
Odell Flynn is first chairperson.
First Town Hall Becomes Reality 
Kitchen area of Alice Hoffman’s house that had earlier been moved to corner of Yaupon and Salter Path Road to serve as a development office becomes town hall. Don Brock agreed to move from the office, and the Roosevelts deeded the structure to the town. It was placed on municipal property to serve as a temporary town hall.
Ancient Mariners’ Bowling League Forms
Welcome Wagon Comes to Town

1975-1979 Ken Haller Serves as Mayor

1975 – Mansfields Buy Property from Roosevelts for Clam Digger Motel
Population of PKS is approximately 680 
Census figures represent full-time residents.
C.L. Price Completes Reefstone and Begins Coral Bay West
Plan for a Third Bridge to Bogue Banks in PKS Dies
First Pine Knoll Shores City Tag Comes Into Use
Atlantic Beach Proposes to Bring PKS into Its Postal District
House Numbers Become Available in PKS for Home Delivery of Mail
Some Hold onto Using Rural Route Number
Pine Knoll Shores Country Club Incorporates

1976
Women’s Club Forms
Marine Resource Center Opens
Built on property set aside by the Roosevelts for a natural area, it later becomes the aquarium.
Community Appearance Commission Is Established
Pine Knoll Townes III & IV Are Built
Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squads Are Formed
Jungleland Opens on Northeastern Border of PKS
It was torn down c. 2008, but the housing market crashes and the lot remains undeveloped for some years.
Cape Carteret/Emerald Isle Bridge Opens

1977
Plans for New Town Hall Is Approved by Voters
Board of Commissioners Approve Town Sponsored Fire Department and Rescue Squad

1978
Carolina Water Erects New 150,000 Gallon Tank and an Additional Deep Well
Craven-Carteret Electric Cooperative Proposes Electric Sub-station on Roosevelt Drive
Town acquires first Ambulance and Fire Truck
New Town Hall opens

1978-79 – Shore Line Newsletter Is Discontinued for 14 Months

1978-1988 – Beacon’s Reach Develops

1979-1983 Wayne Cleveland Serves as Mayor

1979-Shore Line Newspaper Begins Again with a New Format

1980 – Population 658
Census figures represent full-time residents.
Perhaps, the Last of the PKS Alligators, Charlie, Dies

1981
Carpetbagger Motel Becomes Whaler Inn - First Timeshare
Bogue Banks Library Opens in Marine Resource Center

1982-1984 – Beachwalk Condominiums Are Built

1982-1986 – Genesis I & II Are Under Construction

1983-1985 Ken Haller Serves as Mayor

1984-85 – Plans for a Central PKS Commercial Area Approved with Strong Support from the Roosevelts and Their Representatives, but the Shopping Area Never Materializes
After a plan for a strip mall with a Rose’s store, a large supermarket and drugstore fails early in 1984, a second more promising, though no less contentious, plan emerges from Cliff Benson, Jr., and Roland Britt of Pine Knoll Associates. It includes five buildings, totaling 124,000 square feet of space, and 478 parking spaces. There was to be one four-story structure with a restaurant on the top floor providing a view of the ocean and sound. The third floor would have office space, and a department store would occupy the first two floors. The other four buildings were to include a supermarket, drugstore, another large store and small shops.  

1985 – State Approves Plan for a Bridge across the Sound from Morehead City to Indian Beach, but The Third Bridge Is Not Built

1985-1991 Ken Hanan Serves as Mayor

1986 – Bogue Shore Club Is Built

1988 – McGinnis Point Is Developed

1989 – Bogue Banks Library Moves to Area Set Aside as Commercial Area on Salter Path Road
Pine Knoll Village Is Developed as Residential
Pine Knoll Village is built on property that had been set aside and cleared for commercial development to give Pine Knoll Shores a central “downtown” area conceived by the Roosevelts who were developing the town and designed by A.C. Hall. When these plans fail to materialize, one section remains “commercial” and that’s where the library is housed. The remainder of the property is sold to Sammy Ballou for residential development.

1990 – Population 1,367
Census figures represent full-time residents.

1991-1993 Mary Kanyha Serves as Mayor

1993-1996 David Hasalak Serves as Mayor

1994-1997 – Town Assumes Responsibility for The Shoreline
Town Clerk Betty Carr functions as editor.

1994-1999 – Bermuda Greens Complex Built

1995 – Town Proposes Building or Buying Water System 
Begin six years of court proceedings. In 2001, NC Supreme Court concurs with lower court rulings in favor of town.

1996 – Hurricanes Bertha and Fran

1997 – Pine Beetle Infestation
Motel on Corner of Salter Path and Oakleaf Approved
Initially, Shoney Inn, became Amerisuites, then Hampton Inn

1997-2002 Reese Musgrave Serves as Mayor
Dies in office

1998 – Town Celebrates 25th Anniversary, 14 August
Hurricane Bonnie 
Thousands of tires wash up onto beach, which had been placed offshore in the 1970s as an artificial reef

1999 – PKS Beach Preservation Association Expanded To cover All of Bogue Banks
Assumes new name: Bogue Banks Beach Preservation Association
Hurricane Floyd passes well to the west, flooding much of eastern Carolina

2000 – Population 1,524
Census figures represent full-time residents.
Agreement with NCDOT to Replace McNeill Bridge 
80-20 share between state and town
Beach Accesses Required. 
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers requires beach public accesses and parking spaces as condition for undertaking beach re-nourishment projects.

2001 – Town Funds Beach Re-nourishment
Takes on $8.0m debt, approved by referendum

2001 – Town Website Launched
Town Purchases of Wachovia Bank Building for Public Safety Facility
Takes on debt of $1.9m for purchase, remodeling and expansion
Motel Accommodations at Peak
Amerisuites, Atlantis Lodge, Best Western/Crystal Coast Inn, Iron Steamer, Ramada Inn, Royal Pavillion, Seahawk, Windjammer

2002 – Publication of The Shoreline Suspended in June for Cost Savings

2002-2004 Bob Gallo Serves as Mayor
As mayor pro-tem becomes mayor when Reese Musgrave dies

2003 – Public Safety Building Opens

2003-2009 Joan Lamson Serves as First Elected Mayor
Based on change approved by voters in November 2002

2003-2008 – Shutters Condominiums Go Up

2004 – 933 Sand Project Underway
(933 is a USACE designation for the sand replacement effort for restoration of the beach for sand lost from the baseline after a hurricane.)
The Shoreline Publication Resumes as Monthly Newspaper with Volunteer Bill White as Editor
New McNeill Bridge Dedicated

2005 – Water System Acquired
After lengthy legal actions, $4.0m debt assumed for acquisition, setup and upgrade, bond issue backed by USDA.
Iron Steamer Pier Demolished
Club Members Approve New Clubhouse for Bogue Banks Country Club
Name changed to Country Club of the Crystal Coast when new clubhouse opened in September 2007
Hurricane Ophelia produced wind driven tidal flooding on Sound Side shore

2006 – Council-Manager Form of Town Governance
Approved by voters in 2006 to be effective January 2, 2007

2007 – First Town Manager, Brian Kramer, Hired
Seabrook Condos Approved
Royal Pavillion Redevelopment Approved as Roosevelt Shores.

2008 – First Kayak for the Warriors Race and Associated Events
Raises $700. Eight kayaks participate in the first race. 2014 race has over 160 participants and raises approximately $75,000

2009-Present Ken Jones Serves as Mayor

2010 – Population 1,339
Census figures represent full-time residents.